"WE LIVE, IN FACT, IN A WORLD STARVED FOR SOLITUDE, SILENCE, AND PRIVATE: AND THEREFORE STARVED FOR MEDITATION AND TRUE FRIENDSHIP."

-C.S. LEWIS

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What does this mean to you?

I've read this scripture, and ones like it, on numerous occasions, but it seems to be bypassed quite often. I came across it again in church a week or so ago and it once again caught my attention. I don't want to write any opinion on the subject, I just want to hear what most think it means.

From Doctrine & Covenants 59:

"15 And inasmuch as ye do these things with thanksgiving, with cheerful hearts and countenances, not with much laughter, for this is a sin, but with a glad heart and a cheerful countenance-"

Please discuss

3 comments:

  1. I think mostly to me it means that it should not be taken lightly. You can still laugh and have fun, but it IS a sin if you go about it thinking that it is unimportant. That is just my opinion, I could be way, WAY off. I need to go back and read in it the section.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Levity-humor or frivolity, esp. the treatment of a serious matter with humor or in a manner lacking due respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always thought of it as laughing in a mocking way. A way that discriminates, is sacreligeous, or is even unkind. And, like worry, can you hear, feel, or heed the Spirit when you are laughing to hard over any matter?

    Good post Nate.

    ReplyDelete